MAWD (Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities)

by donnatechdesigns on August 9, 2010

Have you ever been concerned if you make too much money you would lose Medicaid benefits? Did you ever feel employers hesitated to hire you, because the employer fears your medical expenses would be greater than employees who are not disabled?

MAWD (Medical Assistance for Workers with Disabilities) may be able to help you with questions and concerns you have regarding employment and medical expenses. MAWD “lets Pennsylvanians with disabilities take a fulfilling job, earn more money and still keep their full medical coverage.”

You are able to chose and work toward the career of your choice. Once you set your goal, determine what steps need to be taken to achieve the goal. Some resources available to help you achieve your goal may include your local Careerlink, Office of Vocational Rehabilitation (OVR), and County Assistance Office. Once you achieve your goal, MAWD can help you with insurance if you meet the following eligibility guidelines:

**Between 16 and 65 years of age

**Meet Social security Administration Disability definition

**Employed and receiving Compensation

**Earn less than $46,000

**Have countable resources below $10,000

(Not including a house or car)

The premium for MAWD insurance is 5% of your countable income. MAWD insurance provides coverage in areas, which may not be covered in other insurances. These areas include glasses, dental, chiropractic and doctor visits, prescription drugs, hospitals, medical equipment and rehabilitation services.

For more information or to make application, you can call your local County Assistance Office; (DPW) Pennsylvania Department of Public Welfare by phone at 1.800.692.7462 or www.dpw.state.pa.us; or COMPASS (Commonwealth of Pennsylvania Access to Social Services) at www.compass.state.pa.org.

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

charles Rinehart December 3, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I would like to apply for a card

jrayada March 3, 2013 at 3:36 pm

CAP does not provide MAWD applications or process them. We provide information to educate people with disabilities about the availability of MAWD. To apply, contact your local county assistance (welfare) office.

elisa spivey April 2, 2013 at 6:37 pm

Please mail the proper papers forMAWD compass i need help with getting my heart pills and depression pills

jrayada April 7, 2013 at 12:13 am

Sorry. CAP does not provide MAWD applications. You can go on the Compass pa portal website or contact your local county assistance office directly to apply.

charles Rinehart December 3, 2010 at 11:22 pm

I cannot afford the test that I need or all yhe medicine. I am looking at back surgury . I have degenerative arthritis, high blood pressure and high cholestrol. I need a joint replacement in my foot. I am currently working and would like to keep working but in order to do this I cannot do this alone. Thank you,

Mary Gantner December 19, 2010 at 8:05 pm

I have MAWD Ins. Currently. My employer has , mentioned a possible temporary lay off, until March.sometime. Will I be able to keep my insurance until I go back to work ?

Mary Richardson January 19, 2011 at 8:45 pm

I need to talk to someone about not cancelling insurance.

Debbie Fisher September 7, 2012 at 2:41 pm

I sent in my payment over two weeks ago and my insurance is still “inactive”. I sent a money order so its as good as cash and you don’t have to wait for a check to clear. How hard is it to push a button and make insurance “active”. Really, its not rocket science and I have gone without my blood pressure medicine for almost 2 weeks (this crap is not helping my blood pressure!!!). For the love of God – ACTIVE IT!
Recip #: 8801761720

jrayada September 8, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Sorry. The Client Assistance Program has no control over this. You need to contact DPW directly.

Brenda Breakiron February 22, 2013 at 11:00 am

I would like to apply for Mawd
How do I go about it?